Monday, March 18, 2013

Celiac disease? - I hope so!

I know something is not right with my body. I've known for some time. Symptoms of intestinal discomfort, headaches, anxiousness, and fatigue have ruled my days for at least two years. But my stomach troubles and persistent fatigue have intensified since June of last year.

Today I have been home from work, too tired to function. Too tired to really do anything but nap, watch some youtube videos, and nap again. Yes, and I made a couple of phone calls. To my doctor and giving notice that I will not attend a meeting tonight. People have not necessarily seen my fatigue. I have developed coping mechanisms and put on my game-face. But the game-face is starting to crack. I can't keep it up. It's getting too exhausting. It's frustrating - I watch the days pass by me. They pass me by, I'm not participating.

At last, it seems that there is an explanation for the diverse symptoms I've been experiencing. I STRONGLY suspect that I have celiac disease. I have had blood tests which came back positive, but the gold standard for diagnosing celiac disease is upper endoscopy and small bowel biopsy. I will have that test in April. Until then I continue to eat gluten containing foods. And can't help but think - I wonder if I would feel better if I didn't eat you.

I wanted to put how I feel now in writing so I can compare with how I feel after starting a gluten-free diet. Just as the little scientist I am. Performing an experiment with an N=1.


No comments:

Post a Comment